Monday, May 6, 2013

Start: Alper Akşit


Studio: Double Negative Visual Effects
College: Animation Mentor




My name is Alper Aksit.  I'm currently working at Double Negative Visual Effects as an animator.  I've studied animation at Animation Mentor in 2008, although I didn't complete the course.Working in films was a long time dream for me so I went to college to study filmmaking. During my time there I started to grow an interest in visual effects and animation. Not having any lessons on the subject, I tried to teach myself about it and started playing around with the softwares used for visual effects and animation. This didn't really get me far but at least it tought me there are different areas of expertise and gave me a better idea on which one of these to focus. This was around the time when there was a popular Animation Mentor Showcase video circulating the internet, and seeing this made me think, this might just be the thing for me. 

So I enrolled to Animation Mentor and started learning from very talented animators working in the industry. Getting an education on the subject was invaluable. It saved me massive amounts of time and gave me the chance to meet many talented and inspirational artsts among teachers and fellow students alike. A year later, I've prepared a demoreel of my student work and started applying to some of the places I wanted to work at. I was offered a job at Double Negative shortly after and I've been working here since then.

My advice to animators just getting started would be; get an education if you can. While self teaching is possible, I think it is getting increasingly harder since there are so many schools around and the quality of student work is ever higher. Don't think of school as some place that just teaches you animation, it is where you can find friends on the same path and this will be a great way to motivate yourself and keep your excitement up.

Currently I am working on Thor: The Dark World. Here is a trailer of the film;
Click Here for the Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment